The Bollini Lab is an experimental catalysis and reaction engineering laboratory that aims to discover improved catalysts and chemical processes by developing a molecular level understanding of diffusion, adsorption, and reaction phenomena.
Porous coordination polymers for hydrocarbon conversion
Porous coordination polymers are an emerging class of nanomaterials that offer the possibility for design of active sites novel to the field of heterogenous catalysis. Our group is using PCPs as a platform to synthesize and characterize active sites that more closely mimic their biological counterparts in chemical structure and catalytic function.
Catalysis on oxide nanocrystals
Bulk metal oxides are used as catalysts in a broad array of industrial applications. These oxides have complex surface structures- a factor that often precludes the development of rigorous structure-property relationships. Our group (in collaboration with the Rimer group) is seeking to use well-defined shaped nanocrystals to develop predictive structure-catalytic property relationships in oxide catalysis.
2019- Emerging Investigator in a themed issue of Reaction Chemistry & Engineering
2019 - Featured in ChemCatChem Young Researchers Series
2018- ISCRE Travel Award for Young Researchers
2017- UH Provost Travel Award
- Afrin, S., Bollini, P.*, Cerium Oxide Catalyzes the Selective Vapor Phase Hydrodeoxygenation of Anisole to Benzene at Ambient Pressures of Hydrogen, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 58, 14603-14607., 2019
- Bollini, P., Chen, T. T., Neurock, M., Bhan, A., Mechanistic Role of Water in HSSZ-13 Catalyzed Methanol-to-Olefins Conversion, Catal. Sci. Technol. 9, 4374-4383., 2019
- Hall, J.N., Bollini, P.*, Structure, Characterization, and Catalytic Properties of Open-Metal Sites in Metal Organic Frameworks, React. Chem. Eng. 4, 207-222., 2019
- Bollini, P., Bhan, A., Deactivation Mechanisms in Methanol-to-Hydrocarbons Chemistry, Catalysis 30, 146-156., 2018
- Bollini, P., Bhan, A., Improving HSAPO‐34 Methanol‐to‐Olefin Turnover Capacity by Seeding the Hydrocarbon Pool, ChemPhysChem 19, 479-483, 2018
- P. Bollini, M. A. Alkhabbaz, & C.W. Jones, Important Roles of Enthalpic and Entropic Contributions to CO2 Capture from Flue Gas and Ambient Air Using Mesoporous Silica Grafted Amines, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 136, 13170, 2014
- J. Drese, S. Choi, S. Didas, P. Bollini, M.L. Gray, & C.W. Jones, Effect of Support Structure on CO2 Adsorption Properties of Pore-Expanded Hyperbranched Aminosilicas, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 151, 231, 2012
- P. Bollini, N. Brunelli, S. Didas, & C.W. Jones, Dynamics of CO2 Adsorption onto Amine Adsorbents. 1. Impact of Heat Effects, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 51, 15145, 2012
- P. Bollini, N. Brunelli, S. Didas, & C.W. Jones, Dynamics of CO2 Adsorption onto Amine Adsorbents. 2. Insights into Adsorbent Design', Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 51, 15153, 2012
- Y. Kuwahara, D. Kang, J. Copeland, N. Brunelli, S. Didas, P. Bollini, C. Sievers, T. Kamegawa, H. Yamashita, & C. W. Jones, Dramatic Enhancement of CO2 Uptake by Poly(ethyleneimine) Using Zirconosilicate Supports, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 134, 10757, 2012
- Y. Kuwahara, D. Kang, J. Copeland, P. Bollini, C. Sievers, T. Kamegawa, H. Yamashita, & C. W. Jones, Enhanced CO2 Adsorption over Polymeric Amines Supported on Heteroatom-incorporated SBA-15 Silica: Impact of Heteroatom Type and Loading, Chem. Eur. J., 18, 16649, 2012
- P. Bollini, S. Didas, & C.W. Jones, Amine-oxide Hybrid Materials for Acid Gas Separations, J. Mater. Chem., 21, 15100, 2011
- P. Bollini, S.Choi, J. Drese, & C.W. Jones, Oxidative Degradation of Aminosilica Adsorbents Relevant to Post-combustion CO2 Capture, Energy Fuels, 25, 2416, 2011
- W. Li, P. Bollini, S. Didas, S. Choi, J. Drese, & C.W. Jones, Structural Changes of Silica Mesocellular Foam Supported Amine-functionalized CO2 Adsorbents Upon Exposure to Steam, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2, 3363, 2010